Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Retrievr

Retrievr

Intended Audience:
Internet users searching for images, sometimes of a particular color, design or shape.
People interested in experimental search methods.
People interested in Flickr.



Usefulness of Content:
This is really a matter of how you answer two questions:


Q1. how much value this alternative search method to a Internet full of search engines?
Q2. Does the search actually work?

A1&2: I did a search on Flickr for "tree" which returned over 3,000,000 results. That is too much but by narrowing my search I still don't have alot of control on the arrangement of shapes within the image frames.
Conversly, I made a sketch on Retrievr for a image with two lines, which resembled a horizon line.
For this very simple sketch I was pleased at my results.

However, I next tried to find images using Retrievr image search. I uploaded a jpeg of a Matisse work and the search results were not very similar. This is primarily because of the complexity of color and shape in the image and Retrievr doesn't recognize, many shapes together very well.

Consistency of Design:

The has a consistent design because it is really just a search engine. Besides searching for a image you can really only navigate away from the site via 12 global hyper links. Once, you have entered a search then the results have hyper links to the images' locations on Flickr.


Ease of Navigation:

With so few places to go from the homepage and global navigation bars this site is hard to get lost in.

No comments: