Thursday, November 15, 2007

Once

http://www.oncethemovie.com/

Intended Audience
This is a Web site for the film, Once, so the intended audience is people who are interested in this film, heard about it from somewhere, saw the trailer or just came across the film's ad on the web.

Usefulness of Content
Apart from the normal info that are usually given in movie's site such as synopsis, gallery, cast and crews, press reviews, and trailer, the interesting part that I like about this site is that there is a part called About the Film which tells you exactly how the director got the idea for this film and the production process of the film.

Consistency of Design
The site has an unconventional design. It doesn't have normal menu or navigational bars. All the content in the site is fitted into different images and those images keep sliding on like a film. I like this unconventional design of the site especially the Gallery page. Instead of just putting all the images down, the images are made into polariod-type pictures and are attached to the wall in the bedroom scene from the film so it looked like you actually looking at polariod pictures that the character put on in his or her bedroom.

Ease of Navigation
Even though I think the design of this site is great, I think there are a lot of problem with navigation in this site. First, I found that to get to any part of the site, you have to wait until that part sliding around and that can take a long time since there is no option to adjust the speed of the sliding. I think that the site at least should have a small menu somewhere so people who only want to go to that specific part of the site can just click it and go there immediately instead of having to wait till the image sliding around.
Second, the sliding never stops, even when I'm not on the page, I find this really irritating especially when I'm trying to read something and the page keeps sliding left and right depend on the slight movement of my mouse. I think there should be a pause button so that it's possible for you to stop the sliding to read the content on the image.
Third, the on/off audio control doesn't have a different after-click stage. When I first enter the Web site I thought the audio wasn't on because the beginning of the audio was really soft and I didn't hear it at first so I clicked on the on button but the button didn't have a different stage after I clicked it so I thought that I didn't click it yet. This is also a slight point that makes me feel irritated about this site . All in all, I really like the design of the site but I think the site needs to improve a lot regarding its navigation.

No comments: