Monday, October 15, 2007

In Rainbows by Radiohead


Right up front, I want to say that I am not a Radiohead fan. OK Computer and Kid A have their moments but I am not blogging about this website because I am a Radiohead fan-girl. I just think this idea is quite amazing and I hope other bands and artists will take a hint and be this forward-thinking when they release new material.

The band Radiohead released their new album, In Rainbows, on this website last week. The mp3s are only available from the website for now (the discbox option is in the pre-order stage) They self-released the album. No big label contract, no safety net. And get this; you can set your own price. The checkout basket has a blank price box that you fill in. Which begs the question, how much is music really worth to you? I have been burning CDs and downloading music for years now without ever thinking I would be faced with the band asking me what their tunes are worth to me That is an issue for another blog, but I just wanted to fill you in on the whole concept of this website. I feel that it is quite brave and experimental of them. Also, they are not releasing any data about how many copies have been sold or what kind of profit they are making yet, but estimates indicate that they are doing pretty well and people are keen on their idea.

Intended Audience

Radiohead fans. Pure and simple. Judging from the experiment, these people are assumed to be computer and Internet-savvy and comfortable making purchases over the Internet, as well as downloading music over the Internet.

Usefulness of Content

The content is very useful to those seeking the new songs. Visitors are directed right to their options for purchase. You just keep clicking until you get to the end. And that is that for this version of the website.

Consistency of Design

Each page has the same colorful background, what looks to be a zoomed-in brain scan or something else rainbow-colored.

Navigation

You only have a few options on each page so it is difficult to get lost.

Overall, a simple website but extremely forward-thinking in concept. I applaud the band and I hope that they find their fans to be appreciative and supportive of their efforts.

UPDATE: I just talked to my friend who downloaded the album and he put in $00.00 and it worked. So, I guess they are allowing people to download it for free.

No comments: