Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Lifehacker.com

Lifehack

Lifehack defined: "The term life hack refers to productivity tricks that programmers devise and employ to cut through information overload and organize their data." -wikipedia

Lifehacker.com is blog which offers daily tips intended to help people better organize their time and life.

Intended audience: Yanked from their own FAQ page, "think of Lifehacker as self-help for geeks." Most of the entries tend to be tech related and include how to better navigate as well as use the internet.

Usefulness of content: The site is constantly updating itself with new posts as well as comment feedback which in ways is more helpful than the actual post. Since it is an aggregation of information the usefulness of each post can be hit or miss. Overall you can find something of interest. What I found, for me particularly, is that I would spend time reading about all these cool tips and still not get work done because I was messing about online.

Consistency of design: It is in a blog format so the posts are centered and truncated with a "more" link to open up the rest of the post and to read the comments. The site's font use is a mess, they use sans serif, serif, and ALL CAPS. This inconsistency causes my eyes to get tired pretty quickly and I want to just move on. They are currently displaying ads for Comedy Central and these ads are animated and flickering which distracts me heavily because I am already having a difficult time focusing on the text itself!

Ease of navigation: While I really like the content of this site I found it difficult to navigate. First I was looking for their "about" page and in the past I've usually been able to find web site's link at the top of pages but this site had it buried at the bottom. This wouldn't have been a problem except that the site uses it's vertical scroll bar very liberally. As stated before the links at the top of the page are in all caps which annoyed me from the start.

Last words: All in all though the content of the site is interesting and ultimately helpful. As I'm attempting to be more "tech savvy" (that wasn't too lame was it?), I am finding that the site is of use.

Similar sites which might be of interest:
43 Folders
Lifehack
Hipster PDA

No comments: